Tuesday, September 6, 2011

peter pan, the boy who never grows up.

The night on which the extraordinary adventures of these children may be said to have begun was the night Nana barked at the window, but there was nothing there. Not a bird or a leaf. So the children forgot about it, for what troubles a grown up will never trouble a child.

There never was a happier, simpler family.
Mr Darling was a banker who knew the cost of everything, even a hug.
Mrs Darling was the loveliest lady on Bloomsbury, with a sweet mocking mouth that had one kiss on it, that Wendy could never get. For there it was, perfectly conspicuous in the right hand corner.

***

Aunt- Wendy possesses a woman's chin. Have you not notice? Observe her mouth. There, hidden in the right hand corner, is that a kiss.
Michael and John- Gasp. a kiss? My mother's kiss
Aunt- A hidden kiss.
Wendy- But.. what is it for?
Aunt- It is for the greatest adventure of all. They that find it, have slipped in and out of heaven.
Wendy- Find what?
Aunt- The one the kiss belongs to.

***

John- Mother, can anything harm us after the night lights are lit?
Mrs Darling- No precious. They are the eyes a mother leaves behind to guard her children.

***

Wendy- Father? Brave?
Mrs Darling- There are many different kinds of bravery. There's the bravery of thinking of others before oneself. Now your father has never brandished a sword nor fired a pistol, thank heavens. But he has made many sacrifices for his family, and put away many dreams.
Michael- Where did he put them?
Mrs Darling- He put them in a drawer, and sometimes late at night, we take them out and admire them. When it gets harder and harder to close the drawer, he does, and that is why he is brave.

***
Wendy- What is your name?
Peter- What is YOUR name?
Wendy- Wendy Myra Angela Darling.
Peter- Peter...Pan.
Wendy- Where do you live?
Peter- Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Wendy- They put that on the letters?
Peter- Don't get any letters.
Wendy- But your mother gets it isn't it.
Peter- Dont have a mother.
Wendy- No wonder you were crying.
Peter- I wasn't crying because of mothers! I was crying because I can't get the shadow to stick. And I wasn't crying!

***
Peter- Oh the cleverness of me!
Wendy- Of course, I did nothing.
Peter- Ahh you did a little.
Wendy- A little?... Good night.

Peter- Wendy, one girl worths more than twenty boys.
Wendy- You...really think so?
Peter- I live with boys. They're lost boys. They are well named.
Wendy- Who are they?
Peter- Chosen and fall off their prams when the nurse are not looking. If they are not claimed in seven days they are set to Neverland.
Wendy- Are there girls too?
Peter- Girls are much too clever to fall off their prams.
Wendy- Peter, it is perfectly lovely the way you talk about girls. I should like..to give you..a...kiss.

***

Peter- Tinkerbell, she's my fairy.
Wendy- laughs. but, theres no such thing as..
Peter- Don't say that! Every time somebody says that, a fairy will falls down dead, and i shall never find her if she's dead.

***
Wendy- Michael! John! there is a boy here, who is to teach us to fly!
John- You...offend reasons sir.
Michael- uh-huh.
*Peter flies
John- I should like to offend it with you!
Peter- You just think happy thoughts, and they lift you into the air! It's easy.
John- I've got it! I've got it! Swords, daggers, Napoleons! Yeahuuuu!
Michael- Wendy, wendy, watch me! Puddings, mudpies, ice creams, never have to take a bath again!

***

Curly- The Wendy lives!
Peter- Its my kiss. My kiss saved her.
Slikely- I remember kisses, let me see it. Aye, that is a kiss. a powerful thing.

Slikely- She must stay here and die.
Peter- NO!
Slikely- oh. How could i've thought about that. Stupid. Sorry.

***
Slikely- Wendy lady, For you we built this house. With a door knocker.
Tootles- And a chimney.
*whispers* one, two, three
Boys- Please be our mother!
Wendy- Oh. Well it is frightfully fascinating, but you see, I've no real experience.
Tootles- Do you tell stories?
Wendy- Yes.
Curly- Then you are perfect.
Wendy- Very well. I will do my best.
Boys- Hooray!!

***
Peter and everyone- I do believe in fairies. I do. I DO!

***

Tink- ooohh.
John- That was no thimble.
Michael- That, was a hidden kiss.
......

Slikely- Brace yourselves lads
Tootles- Tis a powerful thing..
Hook- Pan, You're...pink.

***

Wendy- Mother, Father, I would like to introduce the lost boys. Hats! May i keep them?
Mr Darling- Well... I... the expense...
Aunt- Think of the neighbours.
Mr Darling- Dash the neighbours.. and dash the expense. laughs. Welcome to the family boys!
Boys- Yay!! Thank you. Thank you.
Michael- Will these help the expense father? pours golds
Mr Darling- Gasp. Anyone for a poney ride?!
Yay!

Tootles- Im Tootles.
Mrs Darling- Tootles Darling! hugs
Curly- Im Curly.
Mrs Darling- Curly Darling! hugs. What's your name?
Nimps- Nimps. I plan the battles.
Mrs Darling- Would like a mother Nimps?
Nimps- ...Yes! hugs
Mrs Darling- Awh!

Aunt- what is the matter child?
Slikely- I couldn't find the house, and now everyone has a mother...except me.
Aunt- ...Is your name Slikely?
Slikely- Yes.
Aunt- Then I am your mother.
Slikely- How do you know?
Aunt- I feel it in my bones.
Slikely- Mother! hugs.
Aunt- George! Mary! I have a son!

There could not have been a lovelier sight, but there was none to see it except a strange boy who was staring in at the window. Peter pan had countless joys that other children can never know but he was looking at the one joy from which he must be forever barred.

Peter- To live would be an awful big adventure.

Wendy- Peter! you won't forget me will you?
Peter- Me? Forget? Never.

Wendy- Will you come back?
Peter- To hear stories, about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment